The ‘Lohberg Works’ was founded 1905 with higher grade black coal being produced there from 1912. At the same time, from 1907 into the 1920s, the Lohberg Colony was established opposite the mine to house the workers and employees of the coal works. The 1950s saw the mine developed into an extensive site with multiple shafts: Annual production reached its peak in 1979 at over 3 million tonnes. Exactly 100 years after its opening, the mine was closed. Its buildings started being demolished in 2007 – except for a small number of historical structures which were protected monuments, the pit wheels, the Zentralwerkstatt (central workshop) and the Kohlenmischhalle (coal mixing hall). The Zechenwerkstatt (central workshop), a building that dates back to the early years of the Lohberg mine, was used to conduct repairs for mine-workings and in later years also for open cast operations. In addition to some 1,200 coal wagons, it was also used to store and repair the wagons for equipment and drilling rods etc. Further uses included work on new buildings, signage and carrying out tests on machinery to be used underground.
From “Dinslaken Bf” take bus 71 (direction “Schermbeck Rathaus”), bus 915 (direction “Dinslaken Knappen- heim”), bus 19 (direction “Dinslaken Bergmannstraße”) or bus SB3 (direction “Wesel Bahnhof”) and alight at either “Steigerstraße” or “Oeckinghaus”.
Please note that both the entrance and the visitors’ car park are located at the rear of the building. Access is via Ober-Lohberg-Allee.
No events found.